Walter J. Taché, Managing Partner
Walter Taché focuses his practice on the health care industry, working with hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and physician practices, assisting with regulatory and operational issues, civil litigation, and governmental and internal investigations.
Mr. Taché's clients include over 50 different hospitals and other health care facilities. He serves as a "go-to" counsel for one of the largest healthcare companies in the country.
In the regulatory and operational practice, Mr. Taché advises clients regarding issues such as Health Information Privacy, the Health Care Quality Improvement Act, the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act (PSQIA), medical staff issues, physician discipline, credentialing, peer review, and other medical review committee functions.
In advising clients on Health Information Privacy, Mr. Taché not only assists them with preemptive measures such as implementing best practices, but also assists with investigations of data breaches, reporting to governmental agencies, referring suspected data theft to law enforcement for investigation and possible prosecution, and defending against civil claims brought by affected individuals.
In his civil litigation practice, Mr. Taché handles False Claims Act, qui tam, and other whistleblower matters, as well all manner of commercial and civil disputes relating to health care providers. Mr. Taché has litigated extensively concerning the discoverability and admissibility of records of medical review committees and boards, including the scope and reach of Florida's constitutional provision entitled "Patients' Right to Know About Adverse Medical Incidents" commonly referred to as "Amendment 7."
Mr. Taché also assists clients in fraud prevention, detection and compliance matters. His practice includes reviewing transactions and practices of health care providers and facilities regarding allegations of kickbacks, fee splitting, balance billing and medical upcoding. He represents health care facilities and individuals involving suspected health care fraud and abuse issues.
Yale Law School (J.D., 1994)
University of Florida (B.A., 1990), with high honors
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
Qui Tam/Whistleblower Defense
White Collar Crime and Government Investigations
Florida State Courts
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
FALSE CLAIMS / QUI TAMS / WHISTLEBLOWER
- Defense of qui tam action brought against acute care hospital alleging medically unnecessary care.
- Defense of qui tam action brought against national healthcare company and its affiliated hospital alleging fraudulent billing practices in relation to provision of anesthesia services.
- Defense of qui tam action brought against physician cardiology practice alleging fraudulent billing practices.
- Defense of whistleblower against national healthcare company and its affiliated hospital alleging retaliation for reporting patient quality and safety issues.
CLASS ACTIONS / COLLECTIVE ACTIONS
- Defense of putative class action against hospital chain for alleged balance billing in violation of Medicare laws.
- Defense of collective actions against hospitals claiming unreasonable or excessive billing rates.
- Defense of putative statewide class actions against national healthcare company and its affiliated hospitals claiming deceptive and improper billing in violation of insurance code.
- Defense of collective actions against hospital claiming systematic upcoding and excessive billing.
- Defense of putative class action against hospital claiming balance billing in violation of insurance code.
- Defense of putative class actions against national healthcare company and its affiliated hospital for alleged data breach.
- Moderator, "IRI Cybersecurity Forum," Insured Retirement Institutes Annual Government, Legal and Regulatory Conference, Washington, DC (July 2015)
- Finalist for the Miami-Dade Daily Business Review’s 2008 “Most Effective Lawyer” Award in the Complex/Business Litigation category
- Listed as a Top Lawyer in South Florida Legal Guide (2010, 2014-2015); Up and Comer (2004-2006)
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite (2008)
Professional & Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- Cuban-American Bar Association